Yield : 6
Great idea for winter!
For the crust:
6 tbsp ubsalted butter
3 tbsp sugar
Pinch of salt
1 large egg yolk
3/4 cup all purpose flour
For the lemon curd filling:
1/3 cup sugar
2 tbsp cornflour
3 large egg yolks
1/4 cup freshly squeeze lemon juice(about 2 lemons)
2 tbsp finely grated lemon zest
3 tbsp unsalted butter
1/4 cup egg whites about (2large eggs)
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
Pinch of salt
You will need also standard non stick muffin tin
1. Beat butter in a medium bowl with an electric mixer on medium-high until creamy,add sugar and salt and continue to beat until evenly combined. Scrapped down the sides of the bowl, sift the flour then add yolk and water continue to beat until mixture becomes a finely crumbs resembles then tip on floured surface knead for a beat the shape it like a ball dough then wrap in cling film chill in fridge for 30 minutes.
2. Meanwhile prepare the filling, mix together sugar,cornflour and enough cold water to make a paste in a pan. Gradually whisk the boiling water into cornflour until mixture smooth,beat in lemon juice and zest,add egg yolks and butter. Return to heat and cook over low heat stirring constantly until thickened. Transfer to bowl and cover with cling film to avoid from curdling chill in fridge.
3. Turn put the pastry and grease the muffin tins, roll the dough out in floured surface use a cookie cutter enough cut enough size to fit in your muffin tin.
4. Preheat oven 180C, put the paper parchment on your pastry and fill with baking beans blind bake for 15 minutes take out from oven remove the paper and beans and return to oven and bake again further 10 minutes.
5. Low the heat 150C, spoon the filling on pastry case.
6. Whisk together the egg whites and salt until firm peaks form, whisk in 1 tbsp of sugar then add the remaining sugar 1 tbsp at a time, whisking constantly until stiff and shiny. Spoon into piping bag and pipe over the filling, return to oven and bake for 35 minutes or until meringues is light golden and crisp on outside but soft underneath. Cool in wire rack before removing from tin.
Prepared, tried and tested by: Joy Martin Smyth
Do you ♥ a challenge? Well, I do. We’re visiting with friends on Sunday, and I asked our host what I can contribute to the menu.
Her response: Please bring dessert (gluten-free, egg free, almond free) IF POSSIBLE. Sorry you got the challenge!! (more…)
My husband has been craving lemon meringue for ages. I do bake “normal” non low carb goodies but I feel better when I can serve my family a healthier alternative that tastes fantastic. This is a definite keeper. (more…)
200 g packet tennis biscuits crushed and mixed with 5 tbsp melted butter for base.
Flatten biscuits in your pie dish including the sides. (more…)