These Apple Fritter Doughnuts are the best for Easter !!! Try it with coffee so yummy.
A fritter is a portion of meat, seafood, fruit, vegetables, or other ingredients which have been battered or breaded, or just a portion of dough without further ingredients, that is deep-fried. Fritters are prepared in both sweet and savory varieties.
- 2 medium apples, peeled and cored and grated
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 3 tbsp sugar
- Pinch of cinnamon
For the batter:
- 2/3 cup sour cream ( full fat)
- ½ cup + 2 tbsp of sugar
- 2 eggs separated
- 1¾ cup of flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp of ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- 2½ tbsp of butter, melted
- Oil for deep frying
- Icing sugar for dusting
- Toss grated apples with lemon zest, juice, and cinnamon and let it sit for a few minutes (to soften the apples )
For the batter
- Whisk the sour cream, ½ cup of sugar, and egg yolks to blend, and stir in grated apples (including the juices)
- In a separate bowl, sift the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt.
- Stir this into the sour cream mixture until blended, then stir in melted butter.
- Whip the egg whites until foamy then add 2 tbsp of sugar and continue whipping until they hold a soft peak form.
- Fold egg whites into the batter and use it right away.
- Pour the oil into deep fryer heat 350C
- Have a baking tray lined with a paper towel, with a cooling rack placed over it.
- Use a small ice cream scoop and carefully drop a scoop of batter into the oil, making sure there is enough room to between them to cook evenly.
- Cook fritters for about 2-3 minutes per side, then remove using a slotted spoon and let it cool for 10 minutes before dusting with sugar.
Recipe courtesy of Anna Olson
Prepared, tried, and tested Joy