Bakewell Tarts, delicious and scatter with chopped almonds or flaked almonds . Note, this can not be frozen
Prep and cook time 1 hour 10 min
Cannot be frozen
Ingredients For the pastry:
Ingredients For the filling:
4 tbsp raspberry jam
100g/3&1/2 oz unsalted butter
110g/4oz castor sugar
1 egg, beaten
1 tsp almond extract/essence
110g/4oz ground almonds
1 tbsp plain flour
For the topping:
Icing sugar for dusting
1. For the pastry, put the flour, butter, sugar, and salt into a food processor and process until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Add egg yolk and pulse until blended add just enough cold water until the dough comes together. Form a ball, wrap cling film, and chill for 30 minutes.
2. Preheat oven 180C lightly grease small tarts about 4 to 5 tarts I only make 4 depending on the size of your tart dish.
3. Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface and cut out rounds to line the tin.
4. For the filling, put 1 tbsp jam in each pastry case spread out.
5. Beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, beat in the eggs and almond extract until blended and stir in the almond and flour.
6. Spoon the filling on top of the jam and scatter with chopped almonds or flaked almonds (I used chopped raw almonds) bake for 25 minutes until golden and springy to the touch. Leave to cool in the tin.
7. Sift the icing sugar before serving… Enjoy!
Prepared, tried, and tested by: Joy Martin Smyth