Maize rice, also known as mealie rice, is finely cut maize, the bran and germ have been partly removed. Braised Mealie Rice Broad Beans and Tinfish.
Easy Mealie Rice in microwave
- 1 ½ cups mealie rice
- 3 cups cold water
- 3 tbspn butter
- Salt to taste.
- 1/2 onion finely diced
- 1 chili diced
- 1 tbsp chopped dhania
- 1/4 tsp mustard seeds
- Rinse rice through sift in cold water.
- Place in casserole, add cold water salt, and butter (adds richness).
- Cook on high heat in microwave for 30 mins stirring after every 10 minutes.
- Add more water if necessary to get a soft runny BUT cooked consistency.
- Braise mustard, onion, and chili with a touch of egg yellow powder.
- When golden, add dhania and stir into hot oil, but remove from the heat (to release oils).
- Stir into cooked rice.
Prepared, tried, and tested by Charmaine Pillay