What to do with leftover bread? Well you make Bread and Butter Pudding
Ingredients for Bread and Butter Pudding
- 50g/2oz butter, plus extra for greasing
- 8 thin slices of bread
- 50g/2/3oz sultanas
- 2 tsp cinnamon powder
- 350ml/12fl oz whole milk
- 50ml/2fl oz double cream
- 2 free-range eggs
- 25g/1oz granulated sugar
- Nutmeg, grated, to taste.
- Grease your dish/dishes with butter.
- Now get your bread ready, butter one side of the bread, and cut in fingers or triangles depending on what shape dish you are using.
- Instead of butter, you can put jam or marmalade on the bread. Me I love it JUST with butter.
- Take 2 eggs for a medium pudding or I sometimes use ramekins which then would make 4/5 small puddings, whisk the eggs and add the milk and cream, stir well.
- Arrange bread in the dish and sprinkle some dried raisins in between the layers finishing with the bread.
- Sprinkle a small amount of sugar over the top and pour the egg mixture over leave to absorb the egg mix, if needed top it up a little with milk.
- Preheat the oven to 180C/355F/Gas 4.
- Cook for 30/40 minutes if using a large dish or smaller ramekins take approx 20/25 mins, cook until well risen and golden,
- Serve on its own or with custard.
What to do with leftover bread? Well, lots as it is: You can make breadcrumbs which can be used in numerous ways, Bread pudding, Summer Pudding or Bread and butter pudding.
Today, I am giving you the recipe for Bread and butter Pudding. In England, there is a definite difference between Bread Pudding and Bread and Butter pudding. They are totally different dishes. Bread pudding is denser, Bread and Butter pudding is lighter.
Prepared, tried, and tested by Carol Taylor