My version of our family bread and butter pudding. I can’t eat bread and butter pudding when it’s jutting out of the pudding so I do mine like this.
- 1 pint of whole milk
- 1/2 ounce butter
- 4 ounces fresh white bread crumbs
- 2 ounces caster sugar, divided, plus 1 tsp.
- The grated rind of one lemon
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- Pinch of salt
- 3 TBS of raspberry jam
- Preheat the oven to 180*C/350*F. Generously butter a 1½ pint glass baking dish.
- Set aside.
- Place the milk along with the lemon rind and bring just to the boiling point over medium heat. Remove from the heat and stir in the breadcrumbs and 1 ounce of the sugar.
- Set aside to infuse for +_20 minutes.
- Separate the eggs, putting the whites into a clean glass bowl, free from any grease. Beat the yolks and then beat them into the breadcrumb mixture.
- Pour this bread custard into the prepared baking dish, spreading it out evenly.
- Bake in the center of the oven for 30 to 35 minutes, or just until set. Remove from the oven.
- Heat the jam until it melts and then spread it evenly over top of the baked pudding.
- Beat the egg whites along with a pinch of salt until foamy.
- Continue to beat, adding the remaining 1 ounce of sugar slowly, beating them until they form stiff peaks.
- Spoon this mixture evenly over the top of the jam.
- Sprinkle evenly with the remaining tsp of sugar.
- Place back in the oven and bake for an additional 15 minutes, until the meringue is golden brown. Serve warm
Posted by: Eleni Mitchell