500 g Cake flour (4 x 250 ml / 4 cups)
5 ml Salt (1 tsp)
60 ml Sugar (4 tbsp)
60 g Margarine (4 tbsp)
10 g Anchor Instant Yeast (1 packet)
250 ml Lukewarm water (1 cup)
1 Large egg, beaten
Beaten egg, to brush
Sesame or Poppy seeds, to sprinkle
1. Mix all the dry ingredients together, then rub the margarine into the flour with the fingertips. Add the Anchor Instant Yeast and mix.
2. Mix the lukewarm water and egg together and add to the dry ingredients to form a soft dough.
3. Knead the dough well until smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes.
4. Place the dough on a lightly floured surface, cover with greased plastic and leave to rest for 10 minutes.
5. Knock the dough down, divide in half and roll each piece into a 40 cm (16 inch) strand. Place the strands in the form of an “X” onto the work surface.
6. Place the top right strand on the inside of the bottom left strand. Take the bottom left and move it horizontally to the top right corner.
7. Take the top left strand and place on the inside of the bottom right strand. Place the bottom right strand horizontally, at the top left. Repeat this process and pinch ends together, to seal.
8. Place the plait onto a greased baking tray, cover with greased plastic and allow to rise in a warm place until double in volume, about 20 – 30 minutes.
9. Brush with egg, sprinkle with seeds and bake in a preheated oven at 180 °C / 350 °F for 30 – 35 minutes, or until golden brown.
The recipe I got off the anchor yeast page and the picture i took of what my kitka looked like straight from the oven
Source, prepared and Posted by: Bobby Swanson