Freshly picked and baked – super yummy and delicious Cherry Pie!!!
A Cherry pie is a pie baked with a cherry filling. Traditionally, cherry pie is made with sour cherries rather than sweet cherries. Morello cherries are one of the most common kinds of cherry used, but other varieties such as the black cherry may also be used.
- 5 to 6 cups fresh pitted cherries, about 2 1/2 to 3 pounds (I used Bing)
- ½ cup water
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 4 tablespoons cornstarch
- ¼ teaspoon almond extract
- Favorite double piecrust
- In a saucepan over medium heat, combine cherries, water, lemon juice, sugar, and cornstarch.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat to low and cook, stirring frequently, for about 10 minutes.
- Stir in almond extract. Cool before using.
- Preheat oven to 425 degF.
- Roll out the bottom crust into the pie plate. Add cooled filling.
- Roll out the second half of the dough then top the pie.
- Fold edges of the top crust underneath the edges of the bottom crust, pressing the edge to seal it so that it creates a thicker, 1/4-inch border that rests on the lip of the dish. Then, crimp edges.
- Refrigerate pie for at least 20 minutes or freeze for 5 minutes before baking.
- Just before baking, make an egg wash by whisking the egg and some water together in a small bowl.
- Use a pastry brush to brush over the top crust.
- Then, sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of sugar. If you didn’t make a lattice top – be sure to cut some slits on the top crust.
- Bake for 20 minutes then reduce oven temperature to 350 degF and bake an additional 30 to 40 minutes longer, or until the crust is golden and the filling is thick and bubbling.
- Cool and enjoy!
Prepared and tested by Mona
Thanks for stopping by
As always, if you make this recipe please leave me a comment, rate the recipe, and tag me @_esmesalon on Instagram so I can feature you. I love seeing all your photos of my recipe recreations!
Let’s keep in touch, so please sign up for my newsletter to get delicious homemade tried and tested recipes delivered to your inbox. And don’t forget to follow us on Pinterest, Instagram, & Twitter as I would love to connect with you there!
If you require a wonderfully tried and tested recipe book for yourself, or as a gift, please visit the shop and look at all those excellent Recipe eBooks.