A delightfully Chicken Jalfrezi, flavorful curry with tender juicy chunks of chicken in a spicy tomato sauce studded with stir-fried peppers and onions
- 1 kg chicken pieces
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp finely grated ginger and garlic
- 1½ tsp Kashmiri chili
- The rind of 1 lemon
- Juice of 1 lemon
Marinate for a few hours.
- Slice 1 large onion thickly
- 3 colored peppers half each cut into cubes.
- 1 can tomato paste
- Salt to taste
- 500 ml cream
- 2 large tomatoes sliced thinly.
- 2 tbsp ghee
- 2 tbsp oil
- Heat oil and ghee.
- Fry off chicken pieces on low for 30-45 mins.
- Remove and set aside.
- In the same pan, add onions and fry till tender.
- Add tomato paste n cook for 5 minutes.
- Add peppers, tomatoes salt to taste and cook for 5-10 minutes.
- Add chicken back to pan and coat well.
- Add cream and cook on low for about 10 mins.
- Use 1/4 tsp maizena mixed into 2 tbsp cold milk to thicken the sauce to desired consistency.
- Garnish with dhania.
Prepared, tried, and tested by: Charmaine Pillay