A comfort food classic would be Chili Con Carne, you must have a go at this one
- 500 gm lean minced Beef (I use pork) as I can’t get minced beef here.
- 1 tbsp Olive oil
- 1 large onion chopped
- 1 red or yellow pepper chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- 2 inch piece of fresh ginger finely chopped
- 1-3 heaped tsp hot chilli powder (or 1 level tbsp if you only have mild)
- 1 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1-2 bay leaves
- 1 beef stock cube or 1 pt of fresh made beef or vegetable stock
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- ½ tsp dried marjoram
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- 410g can red kidney beans, drained
- Put the olive oil in a large pan and heat add the chopped onions, garlic, ginger, bay leaves, and cumin seeds cook until onions are translucent about 5 minutes.
- I like to add my cumin seeds with the onions as it brings out their full flavour and we love cumin.
- Add the minced meat and cook, stirring until nicely browned.
- Add the tomatoes, stock, peppers and tomato puree stirring in well and bring to a soft simmer.
- Add the paprika, marjoram and sugar.
- Cook for 20 minutes now this is where I taste and add more chilli and usually more cumin seeds and then add the drained kidney beans and cook for a further 30 minutes.
- Serve with steamed rice and sour cream.
Prepared, tried, and tested by Carol Taylor