As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
A classic Cranberry Upside-down Cake recipe with tangy cranberry topping, using fresh cranberries.
I had bought a bag of fresh cranberries over Thanksgiving, out of mere curiosity. So I tried a new recipe, and it’s delicious! My husband and I have started eating the back of the cake even though dinner’s not even ready yet!
- 1/2 cup margarine
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 tbsp water
- 12 oz fresh cranberries
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 6 tbsp margarine
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and grease a 9″ spring-form pan. Line the outside very generously with foil.
- In a saucepan, melt the margarine on medium heat.
- Add sugar and water (and the recipe called for 1 tsp ground cinnamon which I omitted).
- Melt the sugar, bring to a boil, add the cranberries, then remove from the heat. Pour into the bottom of the pan.
- Sift the flour, baking soda, and salt together – set aside. In another bowl, cream the butter with the white and brown sugars.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add the vanilla and sour cream and combine.
- Mix the dry ingredients into the wet, then spread carefully over the cranberries.
- Bake for 50 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Turn upside down to serve (this is the fun and messy part!).
- It’s a beautiful cake for presentation, and the taste does not disappoint.
- I will definitely make it for a fancy holiday dinner, in which case I would serve it with whipped cream, I think.
Source: Allrecipes (I reduced the sugar from the original recipe)
Prepared, tried, and tested by: Corlea Smit