The taste buds vary so I had to be creative. The hubby loves his tinned fish sandwiches when we are travelling and now on the Low Carb lifestyle there’s no bread so I decided to make tinned fish quiche for hubby and chicken for my son and threw in a few spinach and feta ones as well.
CRUSTLESS CHICKEN QUICHE in muffin pan
1. 300g chicken fillet diced and marinated in 1 tbsp chicken spice, garlic salt, black pepper and dried thyme for 30mins.
2. Heat 1 tsp olive oil and fry 1 sliced onion- when brown, add 1/4 diced green peppers and 125 g finely sliced mushrooms and cook for 5mins. Add the chicken and cook for 8mins. Add Black pepper and garlic salt and dried thyme.
3. Mix together 6 Eggs, 125ml fresh cream, black pepper, garlic salt, 1/2 cup of grated cheddar cheese and finely chopped fresh parsley.
Grease a muffin pan with butter or olive oil. Spread chicken, mushroom and pepper filling on the base of dish. Then pour egg and cheese mixture over filling.
Preheat oven to 180°C. Cook for 10 – 15 mins until cooked through and golden. Cool and serve with a salad
TINNED FISH FILLING
1 can Tinned Fish in brine
1 onion finely chopped
1 tsp garlic paste
1 tsp curry powder
2 tomatoes grated
2 green chillies finely chopped
1 tbsp olive oil
Salt to taste
5 sprigs fresh coriander chopped
Heat oil, add sauté onions. Add garlic paste, curry powder and tomatoes and salt. Cook for 10 minutes and add fish and cook until all the water has dried – needs to be dry otherwise you will have a soggy quiche. Assemble as above
SPINACH AND FETA FILLING
1. Two bunches of spinach – stalks cut off, washed and put in a pot with 1/4 cup of water to wilt down for 5 mins.
2. Strain off water and use the back of a spoon to remove excess water. Put on a chopping board and chop finely.
3. Heat 1 tbspn olive oil in a pot, throw in 4 pieces of whole garlic and a sliced onion the size of a pickle onion and when golden brown add spinach and salt to taste. Cook for 7mins and mash the garlic well and then add 1 tbspn of butter and 4 tbspn of cream cheese and 1 round of Feta cheese. Stir until the butter and cream and feta cheese is melted and gives you a smooth sauce. Sprinkle with black pepper.
ASSEMBLY AS ABOVE
Prepared, tried and tested by: Omi Nair