Custard slices with white Glaze Icing drizzled over the top and to be enjoyed with a lot of wonderful friends with coffee and laughter
- 140 g Golden Cloud cake flour
- 1 ml salt
- 125 g cold butter
- 125 g smooth cottage cheese ( you can use mascarpone cheese, I did )
- 100 g icing sugar, sifted, mixed with 2 tsp milk or more milk to reach the consistency required
Ingredients Custard Filling
- 250 ml milk
- 3 large egg yolks
- 50 g sugar
- 25 ml cake flour
- 5 ml vanilla essence
- Sift flour and salt together. Rub in butter until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Add cottage cheese and mix into a soft dough.
- Shape pastry into a disk and cover
- in cling wrap, refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Roll the pastry out on a lightly floured surface to a thickness of 3 mm.
- Cut pastry into 5 x 5 cm squares and place on a greased baking tray.
- Brush with egg wash.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180 ˚C for 12 – 15 minutes or until golden in color.
- Allow cooling. Sandwich pastry together with custard filling.
- Heat 250 ml milk to the boiling point, do not simmer.
- Meanwhile, whisk 3 egg yolks with 50 g sugar until light and creamy.
- Whisk in 25 ml cake flour.
- Stir milk into the egg mixture, whilst stirring with a whisk until the mixture is smooth and lump-free.
- Return to low moderate heat.
- Stir continuously with a whisk until the mixture has thickened.
- Simmer over low heat for 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat, transfer to a mixing bowl and
- stir in 5 ml vanilla essence.
- Cover the surface of the custard with cling wrap to prevent
- skin from forming.
- Allow cooling completely.
- Use to sandwich the pastry squares
- Mix icing sugar and milk to desired consistency and drizzle over the top of custard squares
Source: Golden Cloud
Prepared, tried, and tested by Gail
Thanks for stopping by
As always, if you make this recipe please leave me a comment, rate the recipe, and tag me @_esmesalon on Instagram so I can feature you. I love seeing all your photos of my recipe recreations!
Let’s keep in touch, so please sign up for my newsletter to get delicious homemade tried and tested recipes delivered fresh to your inbox. And don’t forget to follow us on Pinterest, Instagram, & Twitter as I would love to connect with you there!
If you’re in need of a wonderfully tried and tested recipe book for yourself, or as a gift, please do visit the shop and have a look at all those awesome Recipe eBooks.
Amazon: As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases from the United States, France, Germany, Italy, Spain, and the United Kingdom.
If you from time to time do online shopping through Amazon, I will be grateful for your support using any of my links. Please take a look at any of the recipes on this blog. Either use a regular link or an image with the Buy from Amazon purple button. Thank you for your support and for using my links.