75ml canola oil
½ tsp jeera
½ tsp sarso
1 tsp fennel
½ tsp methi
2 inch cinnamon
1 med onion (diced)
2-3 tbsp coarsely crushed garlic
2 tbsp grated ginger
2 chillies (to taste)
1 tsp turmeric
2 tsp garam masala
2 tsp srilankan curry powder
1 tsp mild paprika
1 tsp salt (to taste)
1 lge tomato (diced)
2 sprigs curry leaves
2 handfuls chopped up fresh coriander
• 1kg M/Lge banana prawns (heads off, Devein & keep shell on)
• In a large non- stick saucepan, add 75ml canola oil into a warm pot.
• Turn heat level to med and add jeera, sarso, fennel, methi, cinnamon, cardamom and cloves.
• Keep stirring until seeds start to splatter, add onions, stir along for a minute and then add garlic, ginger, chilli , turmeric, Masala, paprika and salt, and further cook for 2 minutes. Then add the tomatoes and curry leaves and keep cooking on med heat for 2 mins.
• Add the prawns to the pan and mix well into the Masala paste and cook further for 2-3 minutes, until prawn look cooked and the masala is well incorporated with the prawns.
• Turn heat to low, add handful of coriander, mix well and cover pot and let it simmer for 5 mins.
• Open pot, add another handful of coriander and close pot again and turn off the stove.
• Let sit covered for 5-10 minutes and serve with basmati rice.
Prepared, Tried and Tested by: Veeran N Saroj Sami