Don’t tell me that you are not drooling just a little… as this is the Famous Pepper Steak Pie you need to make asap
- 250 g flour
- 200 g cold butter
- pinch salt
- Place all the above in a food processor
- Add little water to get it to a dough that comes away from the sides of the bowl, or add more flour if too sloppy.
- Knead it till smooth.
- Place it in cling wrap and refrigerate it until needed.
- Add diced-up steak meat with small diced celery, carrot, and onion.
- Add salt and pepper together with beef stock powder.
- Let it simmer for a while I mix it through then I add water mixed with food caramel (it adds richness and color to the dish).
You can get it in the Maggi brand.
- Cook until meat can break apart when squeezing between fingers.
- Thicken then by adding flour to water and a few more drops of food caramel.
- The mixture must cool completely before adding to the pastry.
- Spray the pie shell and add the pastry.
- Let it rest a bit to prevent shrinking.
- Add the meat mixture to the pie.
- Top with pepper (I add a slice of tomato to it).
- Then cover with puff pastry sealing it with a smear of water. Roll the extra pastry off to neaten up your pie.
- Make a little slice in the puff pastry for steam to escape, and brush with egg wash (water and egg beaten).
- Sprinkle with more pepper and bake at 200 C for about 25 min – 30min.
- Enjoy and happy cooking.
- Additional note: The inside of my pie I added cheese and a slice of tomato
Prepared, tried, and tested by Cathy Price (own recipe)