As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Green Banana Koftas with Curry Sauce is a favorite among the north Indian treats
Ingredients for Kofta’s
- 2 Raw Green bananas
- 1/2 cup (optional) I did not use the cheese Cottage cheese
- 1/4 cup Finely Chopped onion
- 1 Tsp Grated ginger
- 1 tsp Chopped green chili (or more) I used red chilies as had no green.
- 1 Tsp Coriander powder
- 1 Tsp Shahi Garam masala powder
- ½ Tsp Red chili powder (optional)
- 1 Tsp Amchur (dry mango) powder, I used a squeeze of lime juice.
- 1 Tbsp Cornflour (as a binding agent)
- Chopped dry fruits for filling (cashew, walnuts, raisins, pistachio, or dry berries)
- Butter cut into very small cubes
- Salt to taste
- Oil for deep frying
- Slit the top and bottom of the bananas.
- Pressure cook the bananas with skin on till soft.
- Peel and mash the bananas add all ingredients except nuts, raisins, butter, and oil.
- Mash everything nicely to make a dough.
- It’s better to use your finger to make dough.
- Make equal-sized balls out of the dough.
- Take one ball on your palm and make a hole in the middle with your finger.
- Fill the hole with dry fruits and a butter cube in it.
- Close the hole and reshape it like a small oval.
- Repeat and make such ovals out of the dough.
- Sprinkle, little cornflour over it, and keep aside.
- In a deep wok add enough oil for deep frying the koftas in batches of 3-4.
- Deep fry in medium flame till brown.
- Do not fry in high flame otherwise, the koftas will be browned from outside, and inside it will remain undercooked.
- As this was the first time I had made these I didn’t make Reena’s curry sauce but I had a small pot of sauce in my freezer which I defrosted and used with the Koftas.
- Purely because I didn’t know if we would like them.
- They were amazing, well, the menfolk queried the lack of meat but they are such carnivores.
- They are lovely eaten as a snack and also with the curry sauce, which I will make next time.
- As you can see from the original list of ingredients I use red chili instead of green and lime juice instead of mango powder and no cottage cheese.
- I was going to use feta cheese instead but thought I would try them without.
- The mix of filling for the centers I used was pistachios, walnuts, and raisins chopped finely.
Prepared, tried and tested by Carol Taylor
2 thoughts on “Green Banana Koftas with Curry Sauce”