125g butter (1/4lb)
1/2 cup castor sugar
1/4 cup milk
2 cups flour
2 tsp Baking Powder
1/2 tsp almond and 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
1. Cream butter with castor sugar.
2. Add egg yolks one at a time.
3. Add essence.
4. Sift flour & baking powder and add to the above mixture alternately with the milk. (The mixture is like a soft dough – not easy to spread).
5. Spread on a flat buttered (I use Spray and Cook) biscuit tin.
6. On top spread a thin layer of plum jam (I prefer apricot but any smooth jam would do).
7. Place the following topping on top of the jam:
1 cup dedicated coconut, 1 cup sugar, 3 egg whites.
8. Beat the egg whites till stiff, then beat in the sugar gradually and lastly stir in the coconut, with a metal spoon.
9. Spread mixture evenly over the jam.
10. Bake in oven at 180 (350) degrees till top is dry – about 20 – 25 mins depending on your oven.
11. Cut into squares whilst hot and carefully out of the tin, placing onto a cooler.
12. When cold, put in a tin with grease proof paper betterment the layers.
Prepared, tried and tested by: Hannah Frank Witt