Life’s sweet little treasures
•4 cups cake flour
•additional flour for dusting
•4 tsp baking powder
•4 tablespoons sugar
•1 tablespoons vanilla essence
•4 tablespoons cooking oil
•1 x 290 g tub of Rhodes Mixed Jam for spreading
1. Sift the Flour. Add Baking powder.
2. Beat the Butter and sugar. I prefer using icing sugar rather than granulated sugar.This results in a smooth biscuit dough.
3. Add vanilla essence and oil to the butter and sugar. Then add beaten eggs.
Combine the butter mixture with the flour to form a soft pliable biscuit like dough.If it is too sticky-add a little more flour until it is manageable.
4. Break apart into two pieces. Roll one portion into a square form. Use knife to cut out straight edges, this well help give the Hungarian tart a neat shape and less wasted edge pieces when cooked. It is best to roll the dough on parchment (baking paper) then transfer into a glass rectangular baking dish ( Pyrex )
5. Spread Jam over the rolled dough.
6. Grate the second piece of dough over the jam. Bake at 180 degrees Celsius for 15 minutes.
7. Allow to cool then cut into squares.
Source: Recipes for Africa
Baked, tried and tested by:Gail Haselsteiner