Delightful and delicious
– 125g x margarine.
– 2 x tbsp. cooking oil.
– 1 x beaten egg.
– 2 x tsp baking powder.
– 2 x tbsp. castor sugar.
– ½ x tsp vanilla essence.
– 2 x cups sifted cake flour.
– Jam for spreading.
– Cream the butter and sugar together, until light and fluffy.
– Add the cooking oil and vanilla essence and mix well.
– Add the beaten egg and mix well.
– Add the sifted cake flour and baking powder.
– Mix well till everything starts to come together and resembles breadcrumbs.
– Turn out onto a floured surface and knead till a smooth dough ball is formed.
– Divide the ball in two.
– Spread one half of the dough evenly along the base of a lightly greased dish. The dough must cover the entire bottom of the dish.
– Take a fork and poke the dough at various places as many times as you like.
– Spread your jam over the dough. You can heat the jam a little if it is too stiff for you to spread.
– Take the second piece of dough and grate it over the jam layer.
– Bake in a preheated oven at 180 degrees for 30 minutes, or until the grated dough layer is slightly brown.
– Remove from the oven and sprinkle immediately with icing sugar.
– Cut into squares or any shape you like.
– Sit back, put your feet up and enjoy with a cup of coffee.
Prepared, Tried and Tested by Bobby Swanson