310 ml cake flour
10 ml bicarbonate of soda
1 ml salt
250 ml castor sugar
30 ml butter
125 ml buttermilk
15 ml apricot jam
2,5 ml grated orange zest
60 ml orange juice
15 ml vinegar
For the sauce:
125 ml soft brown sugar
125 ml Sedgwick’s Original Old Brown
125 ml cream
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C. Butter 6 x 125 ml dariole moulds.
2. Sift the flour, bicarb and salt together in a big mixing bowl.
3. Whisk the eggs and sugar together in another bowl until light and fluffy
4. Heat the butter, buttermilk, jam and orange zest, juice and vinegar together in the microwave for a few seconds until the butter is melted.
5. Fold the flour mixture alternately into the egg mixture and the butter mixture, mix well but do not over mix. Pour the mixture ¾ into the prepared moulds and pack onto an oven tray. Bake in the oven for 20-30 minutes.
6. Make the sauce in the meantime; combine all the ingredients for the sauce in a small saucepan and cook until the sugar has melted.
7. Remove the pudding from the oven and turn out. Prick holes in the puddings with a skewer and pour some of the sauce over while still hot. Serve the rest of the sauce on the side, but most importantly, serve yourself a portion before it’s all gone!
Prepared, tried and tested by: Julia Blau