Perfect comfort food at it’s best, for an easy and relaxed meal, try the Lasagne and Salad
History and background info
Lasagne is a wide, flat-shaped pasta, and possibly one of the oldest types of pasta. “Lasagne”, or the singular “lasagna”, commonly refers to a dish made with several layers of lasagne sheets alternated with sauces and other ingredients
Ingredients for Spaghetti Bolognese
- I kg minced beef or pork
- 1 large onion chopped
- 250 gm mushrooms sliced
- 3/4 cloves garlic
- 5/6 Fresh basil.
- 2 bay leaves
- I large tin tomatoes
- 1 small tin
- 2 tbsp tomato puree.
- 2 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp mixed herbs
- 1 tsp sage.
- Salt and pepper to taste
To make spaghetti sauce:
- Heat a glug olive oil in a pan and saute onions and garlic.
- Add mince and cook until browned
- Add tomatoes and cook for a few minutes then add tomato puree and mixed herbs, bay leaf, oregano, balsamic, and Worcestershire sauce.
- Cook on a slow simmer for 20 minutes and then add mushrooms, cook for another 10 minutes and stir in fresh basil.
- Meanwhile, make a white sauce.
- When spaghetti is ready starting with a layer of mince then pasta sheets.
- Then mince, white sauce, pasta until you have completed 4 layers finishing with the white sauce.
Grate over your favorite cheese, I use cheddar or a mix of mozzarella and cheddar.
- Cheese can be difficult to get here so if I have plenty then I also use some between my layers for a cheesier lasagna.
- I think lasagna is the type of dish where anything goes really sometimes I add bell pepper to my sauce it depends what I have in my larder.
- Cook lasagna on 180C for 30 minutes or until pasta is cooked and cheese is golden and bubbling.
- Serve with mixed Salad and or Garlic bread.
- Enjoy !
Prepared, tried, and tested by Carol Taylor