As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
How many times do we have leftover mashed potatoes?
They are lovely served with cold meats, salad, as part of your breakfast, they are lovely with some crispy bacon. This recipe uses diced cherry tomatoes, okra chopped and lightly sauteed in a little butter or oil, and spring onions.
Ingredients For the mayonnaise
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 6 cloves of roasted garlic, mashed,
- I tbsp lemon/lime juice,
- 1 tsp of cayenne pepper.
- Mix mayonnaise with roasted garlic and mash it up
- Add the lemon/lime juice and cayenne pepper.
- Mix well and season with salt and pepper and set to one side until required.
- Or cover and put in the fridge.
For the potato cakes:
- Take 3 or 4 cups of mashed potato.
- 1/2 cup of cherry tomatoes diced.
- 1/2 cup of okra chopped and lightly sautéed.
- 1/4 cup finely chopped spring onions again some prefer to sauté the onions before adding to potato.
- 1 egg beaten
- Salt and pepper to season.
- 2 tbsp parsley chopped.
- Add okra, spring onions, and tomato to potato, season with salt and pepper, and mix in beaten egg.
- Shape into round patties. Heat your oil and cook for 4-5 minutes until they are golden on both sides.
- To serve sprinkle with a tbsp of the parsley and also decorate the top of the mayonnaise with parsley.
- You can also freeze your potato cakes before frying but defrost them before cooking.
- Depending on the texture of your mash some people like really soft mash and others like a firmer mash but it may impact the texture of your potato cakes you may need more or less egg or if very soft add a little flour.
- Sometimes I also use fresh breadcrumbs and beaten eggs and dip my potato cakes in this before frying it just gives a crisper texture.
- Or you could also add some parmesan to the breadcrumbs which are very nice.
Prepared, tried, and tested by Carol Taylor
6 thoughts on “Left Over Mashed Potato”
Your last potato pattie recipe you featured is a huge success. My Mr keeps asking for them . Nice to have variations x
Thanks so much and so happy to get this feedback – Enjoy
Listen, I reckon I am going to have to keep making that recipe !