For the pastry:
110g/4 oz butter
2 tsp castor sugar
2-3 tbsp water
For the filling:
100g/ 3&1/3oz castor sugar
50ml/1&1/3 oz boiling water
Finely grated zest and juice of 4 unwaxed lemons.
6 egg yolks, beaten
100g/ 3&1/2 oz butter melted
3 egg whites
1 pinch salt
150g castor sugar
1. For the pastry,sft the floyr into mixing bowl and rub in the butter until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Stir in sugar. Gradually add water, a tbsp at a time,mixing continously until the mixture just comes together as a dough. Roll the dough into a ball then wrap in clingfilm and chill for 30 minutes.
2. Preheat oven to 190C grease a 22cm/9″ pie or flan dish .
3. Roll the dough on a floured surface and line the dish. Prick the base of the pastry case several times with a fork. Cover the pastry with sheet of non stick baking paper and fill it with rice or baking beans . Blind bake for 15 minutes, until the pastry is pale golden . Remove from the oven and remove the beans and paper.
4. Reduce heat to 150C
5. For the filling, mix together the sugar,cornflour and enough cold water to makeva paste in a pan .
6. Gradually whisk the boiling water into the cornflour mixture until smooth.
7. Beat in the lemon and zest,egg yolks and butter. Return to the heat and cook over low heat,stirring constantly until thickened. Pour into the pastry case and leave to cool slightly.
8. For the meringue whisk the eggbwhites and salt until firm peaks form. Whisk in 1 tbsp of sugar,then add the remaining sugar, 1 tbsp at a time. Whisking constantly until stiff and shiny.
9. Spoon into piping bag and pipe on top of the filling . Return to the oven and bake for further 35-45 minutes. Until the meringue is light golden and crisp on the outside,but soft underneath.
Prepared, tried and tested by: https://www.facebook.com/alljoyslovelycooking/