As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Here is my take on the best Red Velvet cake I have ever eaten. Super moist and simply mouth-watering. I used the maas to make this one.
Red Velvet Cake
Red velvet cake is traditionally a red, red-brown, crimson, or scarlet-colored chocolate layer cake, layered with ermine icing. Traditional recipes do not use food coloring, with the red color due to non-Dutched, anthocyanin-rich cocoa.
Ingredients Cake Batter
- 2¼ cup cake flour
- 1½ cup sugar
- 1 tsp bicarb
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cocoa
- 1 cup oil
- 1½ cup buttermilk/maas
- 2 eggs
- 5 Tbs red food coloring
- 1 tsp white vinegar
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
Method for Cake
- Sift all the dry ingredients together in a bowl. Make a well in the center.
- Pour in all the wet ingredients.
- Mix until well combined and smooth.
- Divide into 2 greased sandwich tins
- Bake at 180C until done – approximately 20 – 25 minutes.
Ingredients Cream Cheese Icing
- 1 tub cream cheese
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups icing sugar (sifted)
- ¼ lb butter – room temperature
Method for Cream Cheese Icing
- Beat cream cheese and butter on medium-high speed until well combined and smooth (2-3 min)
- Mix in the vanilla essence.
- Gradually beat in the icing sugar until totally incorporated. Increase the speed and then beat until smooth.
- Frost cooled cake.
Prepared, tried, and tested by Caz Vanderbyl Meth