As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Now all does not always go to plan in my kitchen, and when disaster strikes, it strikes and this time it was my Mango Chutney, I burnt it! Take-Two!
- 4 Green under-ripe Mangoes.
- 3cm Fresh ginger finely diced.
- 3 cloves garlic finely diced.
- 500 gm sugar.
- 1tsp salt.
- 1/2 tsp dried chilli.
- 1tsp cumin seeds.
- 2 cardamom plus 4 cardamom seeds.
- 7cm cinnamon stick.
- 5 whole cloves.
- 250 ml vinegar I use Apple cider but have used white vinegar and malt.
- 5 black peppercorns crushed.
- Peel mangoes and cut them into small strips.
- Place mangoes in a large pot. Crush diced ginger and garlic in pestle and mortar and stir into mangoes.
- Stir in sugar, salt, chili, cumin, cardamom, cinnamon, and cloves. Stir to blend.
- Cover and leave overnight at room temperature.
- N.B. We are prone to ants here. Put water into a shallow tray and put the bowl in the center, the ants won’t swim the moat.
- Next day place mangoes in a heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium heat.
- Cook stirring occasionally until the mix starts to thicken about 30-45 mins.
- Stir in vinegar and crushed peppercorns and cook for a further 3 minutes.
- Put into warm sterilised jars.
Prepared, tried, and tested by Carol Taylor