1 lb (about 4 cups when cooked) bacon
2 large onions
4 (28 ounce) cans baked beans
¼ cup ketchup
2 cups chunky salsa
2 tbsp brown sugar
1 ½ tbsp. ground cumin (to taste, I sprinkle it and add more to taste as it cooks)
1 tbsp red chilli pepper flakes (or to taste) optional
1. Fry bacon – cut into pan with scissors beforehand
2. As bacon fries, chop onions
3. When bacon is finished, remove from pan, drain and wrap in paper towel to absorb grease
4. Saute onions in bacon fat till translucent
5. Pour into strainer just to get the fat out. No need to pat with paper towel
6. Pour canned beans into 6 Qt crockpot (I took out some of the juice as it will spill out as it cooks)
7. Stir in bacon, onions, ketchup, salsa, brown sugar and cumin – mix very well. Stir often
8. Cook on high for 3 hours then switch to low for another 2 hours well ahead of serving as it tastes even better the longer you allow the flavours to blend together.
9. This will keep in the freezer as well. I make sure to freeze flat and take out and defrost naturally then warm up in a pot – yummy .. this does not last long – I promise
(The photo does not do it justice ..)
Prepared, tried and tested by:Marlene-Rick Harker
- Make tomorrow more amazing than today!
- Just believe in yourself and dream big.
- Do not give up on your hopes. Take care always.