As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
+ 1 kg beef fillet
1 Roll puff pastry
1 tray of brown mushrooms
6 large garlic cloves
6-8 slices parma ham
A bit of parmesan cheese
Beaten egg yolk for brushing
1. Season beef with salt and pepper all over.
2. Chop mushrooms and garlic and add to a food processor with some garlic salt and lemon pepper and pulse to a rough paste.
3. Heat some olive oil in a pan and cook the paste over a high heat for about 10 minutes, tossing frequently, to cook out the moisture from the mushrooms. Spread out on a plate to cool.
4. Make a mixture of 1 Tblsp whole grain mustard, 1 Tblsp olive oil, 1 tsp fresh thyme, pinch of kosher salt in a a bowl.
5. Heat in a frying pan and add a little olive oil. Season the beef and sear in the hot pan on all sides . Remove the beef from the pan and leave to cool, then brush all over with the mustard mixture.
6. Spread a sheet of cling film on a work surface and arrange the Parma ham slices on it. Spread the mushroom paste over the ham. Ssprinkle some parmesan cheese over the mushroom paste. Place the beef fillet in the middle. Roll the Parma ham and mushrooms around the beef to form a tight swiss roll shape. Twist the ends of the cling film to secure. Refrigerate for ½ and hour.
7. Roll out the puff pastry on a floured surface to a large rectangle. Remove the cling film from the beef, then place it in the centre. Brush the surrounding pastry with egg yolk. Roll plastic wrap over and wrap the pastry around the beef, cutting off any excess. Turn over, so the seam is underneath, and place on a baking sheet. Brush over all the pastry with egg and chill for about 15 minutes to let the pastry rest.
8. Heat the oven to 200C
9. Lightly score the pastry at 1cm intervals and glaze again with beaten egg yolk. Bake for 20 minutes, then lower the oven setting to 180C, 350F, and cook for another 15 minutes. Allow to rest for 10-15 minutes before slicing. The beef should still be pink in the centre when you serve it.
Prepared, tried and tested by: Melanie Kramar