I know that Bridgette Allan will berate me for “exchanging” instead of changing but this can be a monthly treat where the chips are concerned. I have failed to source lamb patties from numerous butchers which are soya free, cereal free and preservative free so I made my own.
This is an eye opener as to what we put into our bodies without investigating the ingredients. As parents the responsibility lies with us as to what we put in our trolleys whilst shopping and onto our family’s dinner plate.
1 kg lamb mince
1/2 finely chopped onion
6 sprigs of coriander leaves – finely chopped stems included as therein lies the flavour
2 green chillies finely chopped
1 tbsp ginger and garlic paste
1 tsp curry powder
1 tsp cumin (jeera) powder
1 tsp coriander (dhania) powder
1 tsp garam masala
Salt to taste
Slices of cheddar cheese per pattie
Olive oil for frying
1. Wash and drain mince well
2. In a large dish add all ingredients above up until the eggs. Mix gently and take care not to overwork the mixture.
3. Divide into 9 balls, flatten and place a slice of cheese in the middle and shape into a pattie- make sure that the cheese is covered.
4. Place the patties on a tray lined with clingwrap and set in the fridge to rest for 30 minutes.
5. Heat oil and fry until juices run clear – do not over fry otherwise the pattie will be dry.
Sweet Potato chips
100g Sweet potato per person
3 tbsp Coconut oil to fry
Peel the sweet potatoes and slice into chips. Heat coconut oil and fry chips until golden and cooked. Drain on paper towel and sprinkle with salt
Baked cheesy tomatoes
4 Tomatoes- preferably jam tomatoes
30 g cheddar cheese
1 tbsp butter
Cut tomatoes in halves.
Sprinkle with garlic salt and pepper .
sprinkle cheese on top, put a dusting of herbs and bake/grill for 20 mins until cheese is melted. TIP: If using salad tomatoes add a pinch of xylitol before putting the cheese
1 cup double cream yoghurt
1 tbsp lemon juice
2 sprigs fresh coriander finely chopped
2 slices of onions finely chopped
1/2 green chilli finely chopped
Salt to taste
1 tbsp xylitol
Place all ingredients in a bowl and mix.
Prepared, tried and tested by: Omi Nair