How to Make the Best Jerk Chicken Wings and then how about you add some awesome Blood Oranges to the mix and you have the best of the best.
- 12 chicken wings or drumsticks or a mixture just remember cooking times will vary.
For the marinade, you will need.
- 4 spring onions chopped
- 2 tbsp thyme leaves
- 1 scotch bonnet chili
- A knob of ginger finely chopped
- 100 ml cider vinegar
- 1 tsp cinnamon.
- 3 tbsp of honey
- 1 tsp allspice
- Salt and pepper.
Scotch bonnet is a variety of chili pepper named for its resemblance to a tam o’ shanter hat. It is ubiquitous in West Africa as well as the Caribbean. Like the closely related habanero.
- Put all this in a pestle and mortar and pound away or blitz in a food processor.
- Marinate the chicken for at least 3 hours or overnight turning a few times in marinade to ensure even coating.
- Cook the chicken on your BBQ or in the oven, wings take about 15 mins on high heat but test, as they vary, depending on the heat and size, and if cooking drums they will take longer.
A nice accompaniment to this is sugared oranges.
To sugar, the oranges take two seedless oranges if you can get blood oranges they are better tasting and slice and cut into rings, roll them in 2 tbsp of brown sugar and put on the grill or in a hot pan turning until they are caramelized make sure you watch them or they will burn.
Serve with a lovely fresh salad and some potato wedges.
Prepared, tried, and tested by Carol Taylor