You have to give this Thai Chili Jam a try. If you’re a chili lover, you will love it
I hate waste and looking in the fridge I had a lot of fresh herbs, lemongrass so decided to make some Thai Chili Jam. This beautiful Thai Chili Jam goes with fish or chicken and just a touch of chili and the tamarind taste just peeks through.
- 10 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 3 shallots sliced finely
- 3-4 chopped red Thai chilies
- 3 cloves of garlic finely chopped
- 1 tbsp of ginger finely chopped and some ginger for garnish (optional)
- 1 lemongrass stalk cut finely
- 3-4 kaffir lime leaves
- 3-4 sprigs coriander roughly chopped and some for garnish
- 150ml chicken stock or water
- 1 tbsp Oyster sauce
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- ½ tbsp palm or brown sugar
- 1 tsp tamarind pulp.
- In a pan, gently dry fry shallots, garlic ginger, lemongrass, and lime leaves until vegetables have softened.
- Just a couple mins stirring so they don’t catch the pan.
- Add all the other ingredients and bring to a rolling boil, reduce heat to a simmer until the tomatoes have softened and the sauce thickens slightly.
- This takes about 8-10 minutes.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning.
- My initial thoughts on this were that next time I would add more tomatoes and less coriander, however, we used it as a marinade for chicken drumsticks last night, and cooking it obviously changed the taste and it was lovely so based on that I wouldn’t change the recipe unless I was using it as a dip.
Prepared, tried, and tested by Carol Taylor