An Authentic Thai Style Batter for Chicken or Pork. Traditionally Thais use rice flour for batter:
- 1½ cups rice flour.
- 1 tsp salt.
- 1 tsp chicken stock granules (If you are coating chicken drums).
- 1 cup of water + 2 tsp Baking Soda. (Or you can use a cup of soda water)
- For the dry coating, you will need 2 cups of rice flour.
- Coat your chicken or pork in the flour, I find it easier to put in a bag and roll it around until all the meat is coated.
- Dip your meat in the batter.
- Heat oil but don’t overload the wok as it will cause the temperature of the oil to drop and you won’t get crispy chicken/pork.
- Sometimes on the street stalls, you will see the cook remove the chicken/pork and then put it in another pan(double dipping) to make sure it is crispy.
- This is an authentic recipe given to me by our Thai chef when we had our restaurant as are all my Thai recipes.
Prepared, tried, and tested by Carol Taylor
Refer to Sweet and Sour Sauce to use for these Thai Style Batter for Chicken or Pork