Vegetarian Dhokla is a culinary dish native to the Indian state of Gujarat and parts of adjacent states.
Dhokla is a vegetarian culinary dish native to the Indian state of Gujarat and parts of neighboring states. Although a Gujarati delicacy, it is also commonly served in other parts of India. It is made with a fermented batter derived from legumes like Chickpea, Pigeon pea, and Urad and rice
- 1 cup buttermilk.
- 1 tsp cooking oil.
- 1 tsp ginger and garlic paste.
- 2 chopped green chilies (optional).
- 1 cup semolina or tasty wheat.
- ½ tsp salt.
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder.
- ½ cup frozen sweet corn.
- 1 packet of original ENO salts
- Pour the Vaghar over the top: oil, mustard seeds, 2 x tbsp. coconut and chopped coriander.
(Vaghar is a technique of pan-frying spices before adding them to your dish. In English, this would be called “tempering.” The frying of the spices toasts them and really brings out the aromatics. A Vaghar is a mix of spices prepared in this way.)
- In a bowl mix all the ingredients together, except the Eno salts, and set aside.
- In the meantime, get the pot that you will be using for steaming ready.
- Add the ENO salts to the mixture and pour into a greased dish and place in the steamer.
- Cover the steamer and allow it to steam for 7 minutes, but I steamed mine for 20 minutes because I wanted a firmer texture.
- Do not take the pot’s lid off as this will affect the raising process.
- Remove the dish from the steamer and pour the Vaghar over while the Dhokra is still hot.
- Leave to cool and cut into desired shapes.
Prepared by Bobbie
Recipes you should check out
Thanks for stopping by
As always, if you make this recipe please leave me a comment, rate the recipe, and tag me @_esmesalon on Instagram so I can feature you. I love seeing all your photos of my recipe recreations!
Let’s keep in touch, so please sign up for my newsletter to get delicious homemade tried and tested recipes delivered to your inbox. And don’t forget to follow us on Pinterest, Instagram, & Twitter as I would love to connect with you there!
If you require a wonderfully tried and tested recipe book for yourself, or as a gift, please visit the shop and look at all those excellent Recipe eBooks.
Copyright © 2022 esmesalon.com – All rights reserved.