True to my nature, that is 99.9% of the time, I will use a recipe as a starting point and modify it as I go along.
As I wanted to see if this famous Arabic dough will work and can be modified to “Vegan” I decided to use Almond Milk and omit the milk powder.
As my vegan family members, were unable to join and thus could not share in this batch, I then decided to add some bacon and cheese to the mix as another part of my experiment. You can keep it vegan by omitting the bacon and using vegan cheese if you like.
- 500ml (2 cups) warm Almond milk
- 60ml (4 tbsp) sugar
- 30ml (2 tbsp) yeast (2 x 8g packets)
- 500ml (2 cups) cake flour
- 1.25ml (1/4 tsp) salt
- 125ml (1/2 cup) oil
- 750ml (3 cups) flour
- 5ml (1 tsp) baking powder
- 40g bacon bits (you can add more if you prefer, unfortunately, that’s all I had available)
- 60g grated cheddar cheese – or any sharp yellow cheese
- 100g grated mozzarella cheese
- Mix together the Almond milk, sugar, yeast, cake flour and salt and set aside for 15 minutes to form a nice foam head.
- Then add the oil, flour and baking powder
- Mix well and knead with dough attachment in a stand mixer for 7 minutes. Yeah, for a stand mixer!!!
- After 6 minutes of kneading, add the following without stopping your mixer, bacon bits, grated cheddar cheese and the grated mozzarella cheese
- Continue to knead for the last 1 minute until well mixed.
- Oil your hands and prepare shapes as you like.
- Let proof/rise for 30 minutes.
- Before baking, egg-wash dough and sprinkle it with sesame or poppy seeds, or dust it with flour.
- Bake at 180C / 350F for about 20-25 minutes or baked through and have a nice brown-colored head.
Prepared, tried, and tested by Esme Slabs and Corlea Smit from The Recipe Hunter: Tried and Tested Recipes from Home Chefs and SA Tasty Recipes – Saffas Daily Recipes
- Serving Size: 2 buns
- Calories: 552
- Sugar: 6.9 g
- Sodium: 301.8 mg
- Fat: 21.1 g
- Carbohydrates: 75.1 g
- Fiber: 3 g
- Protein: 16 g
- Cholesterol: 13 mg
Keywords: Arabic Dough