I have been on a baking binge, and just had to make a couple of batches of this classic! It just can’t be beat.
- 250g butter
- 200ml sugar (I’m always the first one to decrease the sugar in any recipe, but in this case, I actually use more! I think I went up to about a cup-and-a-half at least)
- 10ml salt (I omit this as I use salted butter)
- 500ml buttermilk
- 1 kg self-rising flour
- 5 ml baking powder
- 2 large eggs
- Preheat oven to 375°F and grease large, flat baking tray/s.
- I have used several sizes & shapes of baking tins and trays. Nothing works as well as a very shallow, flat tray.
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Add sugar (and salt, if using) and stir until dissolved. Add buttermilk.
- Heat only slightly until warm but not hot.
- Sift flour and baking powder together in a large bowl. Add beaten eggs to a lukewarm buttermilk mixture. Pour liquid into flour and mix.
- Again, I have tried all sorts of strategies here: stand mixer, hand mixer, and a good old wooden spoon. The only one that works is doing it by hand (with the wooden spoon) and being careful not to overmix. It must be fluffy and light.
- Then carefully scoop it into the baking trays.
- Spread very lightly to the edges. Do not press the dough – keep it light and just pull it with your fingers to cover the pan.
- If you are lucky, you might have the cutter that fits into the pan like I do (thanks to the best gift from my mom!!). If so, oil the cutter well and cut the dough before baking.
- Then bake for about 30 mins. Keep an eye on it as it could bake faster since it is thin.
- Remove from pans and break or cut apart.
- Then place the rusks directly onto the oven racks, turn the oven to exceptionally low heat (I used 175°F), prop the door open with a spoon, and dry for several hours until fully dry throughout.
- Nothing like it with a cup of coffee for dipping!!
Prepared, tried, and tested by Corlea Smit from The Recipe Hunter: Tried and Tested Recipes from Home Chefs and SATasty Recipes – Saffas Daily Recipes
- Serving Size: 25-30
- Calories: 219
- Sugar: 6.6 g
- Sodium: 181.9 mg
- Fat: 8 g
- Carbohydrates: 32.1 g
- Fiber: 0.9 g
- Protein: 4.5 g
- Cholesterol: 32.2 mg
Keywords: Buttermilk Biscotti Rusks