Spice up your life with our Fish Masala, Chutney, and Rotla! Get ready to dive into a world of flavors with our mouth-watering Fish Masala, tangy Chutney, and delicious Rotla! Don’t miss out! Give your taste buds an unforgettable treat today!
- 3 Tbsp. garlic
- 1 Tbsp. ginger
- 5 Tbsp. crushed chilies
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp white pepper
- 1/2 tsp peri-peri spice
- 2 tsp ground dhania
- 2 tsp ground Jeero (cumin seeds)
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- Juice of half a lemon
- Fine red chilies
- 2 Tbsp. oil
- 1 kg fish slices (I like redfish or hake)
- 1 finely chopped onion
- whole Jeero (cumin seeds)
- Curry leaves
- Pinch of mustard seeds
- 1/2 diced green pepper
- 1/4 red pepper
- 2 tomatoes
- 1/4 cup tomato puree
- Dash of Salt
- 1 – 2 Tbsp. fish Masala
- 1 – 2 Tbsps. Aamli pulp (Tamarind)
- 1 green and red jalapeños
- 2 big dish-up spoons of coconut milk
- 2 1/2 cups maize meal.
- 4 Tbsp. ghee
- 1 & 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp. oil
- 3 cups boiling water.
- +-3 cups cake flour
- Mix all ingredients up to and inclusive of 2 Tbsp. oil well. Add just enough water to make a thick paste.
- Sprinkle some salt on the fish.
- Add some of the fish Masala and coat it well.
- Add more lemon juice, mix, and let it marinate for a few hours.
- Sprinkle with flour and fry in med hot oil. it doesn’t have to be deep-fried.
- Braise the finely chopped onion in ghee with whole Jeero (cumin seeds), some curry leaves, and a pinch of mustard seeds till pale in color.
- Add finely chopped/diced green pepper and red pepper as well as the green and red jalapeños.
- Braise well then add the liquidized tomatoes, tomato puree, salt, fish masala, and the Aamli pulp (tamarind).
- Let this cook for a few minutes. Lower the heat and add some water and let it simmer.
- Add 1 tsp. brown sugar if it’s too sour.
- Lastly, add 2 big dish-up spoons of coconut milk (optional) and mix well.
- Add some of the fried fish and take it off the heat, then add cut-up green dhania (Coriander).
- Best served with either Basmati Rice or Rotla’s
- Put the maize meal in a dish, add the salt & ghee, then add the boiling water and mix well.
- Let it rest for about an hour, then add the oil.
- Mix through, then add the flour 1 cup at a time and knead well in between additions.
- It should be a nice soft roti dough-like consistency.
- Let this rest be covered for about an hour, then, break it into 6 or 7 pieces.
- Roll it out thick about 1.2 cm thick.
- Fry on a hot tawa. Lower heat.
- Fry on one side until it’s brownish, and flip it over.
- Add some melted ghee.
- Cook the other side until it has a brownish color, then add some ghee to that side as well.
- Turn once more and cook till done.
Prepared, tried, and tested by Monowara from The Recipe Hunter: Tried and Tested Recipes from Home Chefs
- Serving Size: 1 bowl
- Calories: 595
- Sugar: 4.4 g
- Sodium: 480.5 mg
- Fat: 30.2 g
- Carbohydrates: 46.3 g
- Fiber: 5.8 g
- Protein: 33.1 g
- Cholesterol: 69.3 mg
Keywords: simple fish masala recipe, Fish Masala with Chutney