Granny Smith Apple Pie Lovers! We’re calling all dessert enthusiasts to join us in celebrating the deliciousness of Granny Smith’s Apple Pie! This classic dessert has been a family favorite for generations, and now it’s time to share the love.
Apple pie is as follows:
- 8oz butter
- 4 Tbsp. sugar
- 4 Tbsp. cooking oil
- 4 cups flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- Pinch salt
- 2 eggs
If using fresh apples, make the filling syrup as follows:
- 4.5 cups white sugar
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 1 Tbsp + 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp allspice
- 10 cups water
- 3 Tbsp lemon juice
- 6 lbs apples
- I used a bag of fresh apples that I froze during the summer or use a 2lb tin of unsweetened apples.
- Cream butter and sugar well together.
- Add the oil, then blend well.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, and salt together.
- Beat the egg. Add the egg, alternatively with the flour mixture to the butter and sugar blend.
- Divide into 3/4 and 1/4 round balls.
- Press the 1/4 portion into a Pyrex dish, and spread in the filling of cooked apples.
- Grate 3/4 portion over the apples.
- Bake 35/40 minutes in a moderate oven (350F / 180C).
- Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of castor sugar (if you can find it, but not on our shelves this year). I will use regular sugar on top of the pie.
For the syrup
- In a large saucepan, mix sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- Add salt and water and mix well.
- Bring to a boil and cook until thick and bubbly.
- Remove from heat and add lemon juice.
- Sterilize canning jars, lids, and rings by boiling them in a large pot of water.
- Peel, core, and slice apples.
- Pack the sliced apples into hot canning jars, leaving a ½-inch space at the top.
- Fill jars with hot syrup, and gently remove any air bubbles with a knife. (Only use a plastic knife as the metal will crack your jars.)
- Put lids on and process in a water bath canner for 20 minutes.
- If your apples need thickening for the pie, mix a paste of cornflour and water and pour into the jar and boil it up in a pot until the syrup thickens.
Prepared, tried, and tested by Beverley from The Recipe Hunter: Tried and Tested Recipes from Home Chefs and SA Tasty Recipes -Saffas Daily Recipes
- Serving Size: 1 block
- Calories: 649
- Sugar: 85.5 g
- Sodium: 322.5 mg
- Fat: 16.4 g
- Carbohydrates: 126.6 g
- Fiber: 7.3 g
- Protein: 4.9 g
- Cholesterol: 53.8 mg
Keywords: granny smith apple pie with crumb topping, best granny smith apple pie recipe, classic apple pie recipe