Mrs. Ball’s Chutney is a super delicious, awesome spicy condiment that is extremely popular in South Africa. You prepare it with dried fruits and spices that will provide a unique and tangy flavor. If you’re looking for a unique and flavorful condiment, Mrs. Ball’s Chutney is definitely worth trying!
- 500 g dried peaches
- 250 g dried apricots
- 3 liters brown wine or malt vinegar
- 2 1/2 kg sugar
- 500 g onions
- 12.0 g salt
- 7.5 g cayenne pepper
- Soak the dried fruit in malt vinegar overnight.
- Chop the onions into small pieces.
- Drain the fruit and retain the vinegar.
- Process the fruit and chopped onions in a food processor.
- Add the processed fruit and onion mixture to a pot.
- Add sugar, retained plus 1-liter vinegar, and bring to a boil while stirring.
- Add more vinegar if too thick (it should not be too runny or too thick).
- Cook for 1 – 2 hours, stirring occasionally to prevent it from ‘catching’ on the bottom.
- Add the salt and cayenne pepper while cooking and tasting to your preference.
- Pour into sterilized jars and seal.
Prepared, tried, and tested by Edward from SA Tasty Recipes – Saffas Daily Recipes.
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 285
- Sugar: 58
- Sodium: 95
- Fat: 0
- Saturated Fat: 0
- Unsaturated Fat: 0
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 62
- Fiber: 1
- Protein: 1
- Cholesterol: 0
Keywords: Mrs. Balls Chutney