It is very seldom that I make my classic Spaghetti Bolognese because it takes a minimum of 3 hours to simmer. Most busy working moms don’t have that luxury. I fortunately do, so I can indulge in this timeless classic.
- 500gr Spaghetti
- 500 gr ground beef
- 500 gr Italian sausage (or use all beef)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup finely grated celery
- 2/3 cup finely grated carrot
- 1 small finely diced onion
- 4 cloves garlic finely chopped
- salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme (or 1 teaspoon fresh thyme)
- 1 tsp dried oregano (or 2 teaspoon fresh oregano, chopped)
- 1 tbsp fresh Italian parsley
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp Italian Herbs
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup dry white wine (sub white wine vinegar and chicken stock)
- 1 cup beef stock
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 can plum tomatoes, chopped with liquid
- 1 cup passata
- Parmesan cheese and parsley to garnish
- In a saucepan heat oil and butter.
- Add carrots, celery, onions, and sauté for 3 minutes.
- Add ground meat, salt, and pepper to taste and cook until the meat is no longer pink.
- Add the herbs and the nutmeg.
- Add wine and simmer until evaporated.
- Finally, add the tomatoes, bay leaves, tomato paste, passata, sugar, and beef stock and simmer slowly, stirring occasionally, for 2 hours partially covered.
- Add the milk and parsley and simmer for another hour.
- If sauce becomes dry, (which it shouldn’t) add ½ cup stock or passata whenever necessary.
- When almost ready to serve, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Cook the pasta until it is tender but still firm to the bite, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Drain, and add either some olive oil or butter.
- Serve with freshly grated parmesan cheese and parsley.
Prepared, tried, and tested Melanie from The Recipe Hunter: Tried and Tested Recipes from Home Chefs
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 1172
- Sugar: 12
- Sodium: 1327
- Fat: 68
- Saturated Fat: 25
- Unsaturated Fat: 44
- Trans Fat: 1
- Carbohydrates: 57
- Fiber: 4
- Protein: 69
- Cholesterol: 196
Keywords: Spaghetti Bolognese