I felt like mushrooms, but also wanted meatballs, although not baked in oil, so this Beef Mince Stuffed Mushroom with Cheese recipe came about.
A mushroom or toadstool is the fleshy, spore-bearing fruiting body of a fungus, typically produced above ground, on soil, or on its food source. Toadstool generally denotes one poisonous to humans.
Choose from 7 great varieties of fresh Canadian mushrooms for a variety of tastes, textures, colors, and sizes.
Please note, all ingredients are only estimates, as I did not measure anything this last night, I just winged it, but you can play around with it, it’s very forgiving.
- Medium-size white mushrooms (you can use brown if you prefer)
- ± 400g Ground beef
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2–2 heaped tsp. of bottled garlic (you can use fresh if you have it available)
- 1 tin chopped tomato and onion mix
- ±250ml sharp shredded cheese
- 1 tsp table salt
- 1 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1 large pinch of dried basil (our granddaughter gifted me some that she harvested from her home garden and dried the fresh product and bottled it).
- 1 large pinch of dried oregano (our granddaughter gifted me some that she harvested from her home garden and dried the fresh product and bottled it)
- Finely chopped mushroom
- In a large bowl mix all the above ingredients until well blended, except the mushroom caps. (The quantity will depend on how many people you need to feed and what else you have with the Mushroom filled Meatball Caps as part of the meal).
- I used 10 medium white mushrooms for 2 adults as the main meal and only added mixed vegetables.
- Wash the mushrooms and break out the stems (chop them into small pieces) and add that to the above mixture.
- Use a muffin pan and place the caps in the cavities, scoop out enough of the meatball mixture in the palm of your hand, and form a small ball and place it inside the mushroom cap.
- Heat the oven to 400F and once the oven is heated, place the pan in the oven on the middle shelf and bake for ± 30-45 minutes, depending on the size of the mushrooms and the number of mushrooms used until browned and baked through.
- The time may also vary depending on your oven.
- Serve with mixed vegetables.
- You will not use all the meat for 10 mushrooms (as I used).
- The rest I baked in a regular baking dish and will use that with Fettuccine Aglio e Olio (Fettuccine with Garlic and Oil) for our next evening meal.
- You can also bake the remainder of the meat in a tinfoil container and then freeze it for later use.
- I will not suggest that you refreeze the meat (if already been defrosted once).
Prepared, tried, and tested by Esme from The Recipe Hunter: Tried and Tested Recipes from Home Chefs and SA Tasty Recipes – Saffas Daily Recipes
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 299
- Sugar: 2
- Sodium: 604
- Fat: 20
- Saturated Fat: 9
- Unsaturated Fat: 9
- Trans Fat: 1
- Carbohydrates: 4
- Fiber: 1
- Protein: 25
- Cholesterol: 141
Keywords: Stuffed Mushroom
Thanks for stopping by
As always, if you make this recipe please leave me a comment, rate the recipe, and tag me @_esmesalon on Instagram so I can feature you. I love seeing all your photos of my recipe recreations!
Let’s keep in touch, so please sign up for my newsletter to get delicious homemade tried and tested recipes delivered to your inbox. And don’t forget to follow us on Pinterest, Instagram, & Twitter as I would love to connect with you there!
If you require a wonderfully tried and tested recipe book for yourself, or as a gift, please visit the shop and look at all those excellent Recipe eBooks.