Wonderfully crisp, tender, just melt-in-your-mouth Cheesy Potato Pancakes. It will be ready in 30 minutes max.
- 4 cups mashed potatoes*
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 large egg
- 4 Tbsp butter
- 1 Tbsp salt
- 1/4 cup flour (or up to 1/2 cup flour for creamier potatoes)
- 3 Tbsp chives, chopped
- 1/2 cup plain breadcrumbs
- Light Olive oil or Canola oil to sauté
- Sour cream to serve
- Fill a large pot with water.
- Add 1 Tbsp salt and peeled quartered russet potatoes (2 lbs or about 7 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered).
- Cook until easily pierced with a fork.
- Drain well and mash in 4 Tbsp butter then let cool to room temp.
Mashed potatoes can be made 1 – 3 days ahead.
Mashed Potato Pancakes
- In a large mixing bowl, combine.
- Use a potato masher to mash the mixture together until well mixed.
- If the potatoes are too loose to hold a patty shape, add flour, 1 Tbsp at a time.
- Place a heaping Tbsp of potato mixture between your palms and form a round, ⅓” thick patty.
- Dredge both sides of the pancake in bread crumbs and set it on a cutting board.
- Repeat with remaining pancakes.
- Heat a large non-stick pan over medium heat with enough oil to lightly cover the bottom of the pan.
- Once the oil is hot, add patties in a single layer and sauté 3-4 minutes per side or until golden brown.
- Repeat with remaining patties, adding more oil as needed.
- The recipe works best with mashed potatoes that aren’t super creamy.
- If they are very moist, you may need a little more flour for them to hold a patty shape.
- Do not use instant mashed potatoes.
- Recipe credit: MetDaan Creative; Author: NatashasKitchen
Prepared, tried, and tested by Alma from The Recipe Hunter: Tried and Tested Recipes from Home Chefs
- Serving Size: 2 potato pancakes
- Calories: 154
- Sugar: 2.1 g
- Sodium: 443.3 mg
- Fat: 4.9 g
- Carbohydrates: 17.6 g
- Fiber: 2.3 g
- Protein: 9.7 g
- Cholesterol: 31.4 mg