Wonderfully crisp, tender, just melt-in-your-mouth Cheesy Potato Pancakes. It will be ready in 30 minutes max.
- 4 cups mashed potatoes*
- 2 cups (8 oz) shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 large egg
- ¼ cup flour (or up to ½ cup flour for creamier potatoes)
- 2 to 3 Tbsp chives, chopped
- ½ cup plain breadcrumbs
- Light Olive oil or Canola oil to sauté
- Sour cream to serve
- Mashed Potatoes*
- Fill a 5 Qt pot with water.
- Add 1 Tbsp salt and peeled quartered russet potatoes (2 lbs or about 7 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered).
- Cook until easily pierced with a fork.
- Drain well and mash in 4 Tbsp butter then let cool to room temp.
- Mashed potatoes can be made 1 – 3 days ahead.
Mashed Potato Pancakes:
In a large mixing bowl, combine
- 4 cups mashed potatoes,
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese,
- 1 large egg,
- ¼ cup flour and
- 2 Tbsp chopped chives.
- Use a potato masher to mash the mixture together until well mixed.
- If the potatoes are too loose to hold a patty shape, add flour, 1 Tbsp at a time.
- Place a heaping Tbsp of potato mixture between your palms and form into a round, ⅓” thick patty.
- Dredge both sides of the pancake in bread crumbs and set it on a cutting board.
- Repeat with remaining pancakes.
- Heat a large non-stick pan over medium heat with enough oil to lightly cover the bottom of the pan.
- Once the oil is hot, add patties in a single layer and sauté 3-4 minutes per side or until golden brown.
- Repeat with remaining patties, adding more oil as needed.
- The recipe works best with mashed potatoes that aren’t super creamy.
- If they are very moist, you may need a little more flour for them to hold a patty shape. Do not use instant mashed potatoes.
- Serving: 22 potato pancakes
- Recipe credit: MetDaan Creative
- Author: NatashasKitchen
- Prepared, tried, and tested Alma Kirstein I tested this recipe and everyone liked it.