Homemade Rocky Road Ice Cream No-Churn, No ice cream machine needed, gluten-free, with nuts and delicious sea salt caramel swirls.
- 115g chopped dark or bittersweet chocolate
- 60g chopped semi-sweet chocolate
- 250ml (1 cup) 3% or full cream milk
- 1 14 oz. (307 ml) can sweetened condensed milk
- 5 ml (1 tsp) pure vanilla extract
- 12.5 ml (1 tbsp) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 12.5 ml (1 tbsp) freshly squeezed lemon juice
- A pinch salt
- 3/4 cup miniature marshmallows
- 3/4 cup roasted salted almonds
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips (I used Hershey’s CHIPITS Chocolate Chips + extra for decoration
- 1/2 cup Hershey’s CHIPITS Skor Toffee bits+ extra for decoration
- 2 cups heavy cream (if you can find the English Double Devon cream that will be perfect) although I used tinned Carnation extra thick cream
- 280 ml Bottle Sea Salt Caramel but you can use any store-bought hot fudge topping NOT chocolate sauce
Chop up the dark and semi-sweet chocolate and set aside in a large microwave bowl.
Heat up the milk to a near boil in the microwave (Do not boil) and pour it over the chopped chocolate.
Do not stir and set aside for 5 minutes. After 5 minutes or so, then stir until the chocolate is smooth and fully melted.
Add and stir in all the remaining ingredients EXCEPT the last two ingredients: keep the Sea Salt Caramel or chocolate sauce (whichever you prefer to use) and heavy cream aside.
Whip the heavy cream in a clean and separate bowl, until soft peaks form then fold cream gently into the melted chocolate mixture.
I placed the entire bowl of ice cream in the freezer for ± 30-60 minutes as its rather runny. Just as it starts to set, but it should still be like molten lava, then start to assemble. If it’s too runny you will not be able to add the salted caramel or chocolate mix to it as it will just sink.
To a ± 2-liter (± 2 quarts) freezable container (I used a large yogurt tub), divide the mixture into three, and layer a ⅓ of the ice cream, then a drizzle a ⅓ of the Sea Salt Caramel or chocolate sauce on top and give a swirl or two with a knife.
** Extras used not usually found in Rocky Road Ice cream, but I usually add or modify my recipes to my personal taste, so I added Hershey’s CHIPITS Skor Toffee bits and used Sea Salt Caramel in stead of the standard chocolate sauce.
I must admit, both these ingredients are super delicious in this ice cream and you will not be sorry to add them.
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 124
- Sugar: 10
- Sodium: 2039
- Fat: 8
- Saturated Fat: 4
- Unsaturated Fat: 3
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 12
- Fiber: 1
- Protein: 2
- Cholesterol: 13