Chicken à la King is a dish consisting of diced chicken in a
cream sauce, mushrooms, and vegetables served over rice, noodles, or bread.
- 2 chicken breasts, halved
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 1 tray sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 green pepper
- 1 red pepper
- 1/3 cup flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1/2 cups cream
- Optional: fresh parsley (chopped)
- Boil the chicken breasts in the stock in a saucepan with the oregano until cooked.
- Cool then slice. Reserve a cup of the stock.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter.
- Add the sliced mushrooms, and peppers, and cook for about 5 minutes or until the vegetables are tender and most of the liquid from the mushrooms has evaporated.
- Blend in the flour, salt, and pepper and cook, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes.
- Gradually add the cream, along with the reserved stock, stirring constantly until the mixture has thickened.
- Add more chicken stock, if necessary.
- Cook for about 2 minutes longer.
- Add the chicken and heat through.
- Garnish with parsley.
Prepared, tried, and tested by Melanie Kramar from The Recipe Hunter: Tried and Tested Recipes from Home Chefs
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 628
- Sugar: 7
- Sodium: 753
- Fat: 50
- Saturated Fat: 31
- Unsaturated Fat: 16
- Trans Fat: 2
- Carbohydrates: 19
- Fiber: 1
- Protein: 26
- Cholesterol: 194
Keywords: Chicken à la King