Chicken à la King is a dish consisting of diced chicken in a cream sauce, often with sherry, mushrooms, and vegetables, served over rice, noodles, or bread.
Chicken a la King was extremely popular in the 50s and 60s. So popular that you would think it was created during that period, but it was actually created in the late 19th century. History of Chicken à la King.
Now let’s show you How to Make Classic Chicken à la King
How to Make Classic Chicken à la King
Chicken à la King is a dish consisting of diced chicken in a
cream sauce, mushrooms, and vegetables served over rice, noodles, or bread.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 4 large portions 1x
- Method: Easy
- 2 chicken breasts, halved
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 1 tray sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 green pepper
- 1 red pepper
- 1/3 cup flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1/2 cups cream
- Optional: fresh parsley (chopped)
- Boil the chicken breasts in the stock in a saucepan with the oregano until cooked.
- Cool then slice. Reserve a cup of the stock.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter.
- Add the sliced mushrooms, and peppers, and cook for about 5 minutes or until the vegetables are tender and most of the liquid from the mushrooms has evaporated.
- Blend in the flour, salt, and pepper and cook, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes.
- Gradually add the cream, along with the reserved stock, stirring constantly until the mixture has thickened.
- Add more chicken stock, if necessary.
- Cook for about 2 minutes longer.
- Add the chicken and heat through.
- Garnish with parsley.
Prepared, tried, and tested by Melanie Kramar from The Recipe Hunter: Tried and Tested Recipes from Home Chefs
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 628
- Sugar: 7
- Sodium: 753
- Fat: 50
- Saturated Fat: 31
- Unsaturated Fat: 16
- Trans Fat: 2
- Carbohydrates: 19
- Fiber: 1
- Protein: 26
- Cholesterol: 194
Keywords: Chicken à la King
Thanks a bunch for swinging by!
If you whip up this delightful recipe, drop me a line, rate it, and don’t forget to tag me on @_esmesalon on Instagram. I’m on the lookout for your amazing recreations, and I just can’t get enough of those mouthwatering pics!
Let’s not lose touch – sign up for my newsletter, and I’ll deliver scrumptious, foolproof recipes right to your inbox. And hey, why not join the party on Pinterest, Instagram, and Threads? I’d love to connect with you there and share our foodie adventures!
And guess what? If you’re looking for a fantastic tried-and-true recipe book, swing by the shop and feast your eyes on our collection of excellent Recipe eBooks. They make for a perfect treat for yourself or a food-loving friend!