As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Chicken à la King is a dish consisting of diced chicken in a cream sauce, often with sherry, mushrooms, and vegetables, served over rice, noodles, or bread.
Chicken a la King was extremely popular in the 50s and 60s. So popular that you would think it was created during that period, but it was actually created in the late 19th century. History of Chicken à la King.
Now let’s show you How to Make Classic Chicken à la King
How to Make Classic Chicken à la King
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 4 large portions 1x
- Method: Easy
Chicken à la King is a dish consisting of diced chicken in a
cream sauce, mushrooms, and vegetables served over rice, noodles, or bread.
- 2 chicken breasts, halved
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 1 tray sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 green pepper
- 1 red pepper
- 1/3 cup flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1/2 cups cream
- Optional: fresh parsley (chopped)
- Boil the chicken breasts in the stock in a saucepan with the oregano until cooked.
- Cool then slice. Reserve a cup of the stock.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter.
- Add the sliced mushrooms, and peppers, and cook for about 5 minutes or until the vegetables are tender and most of the liquid from the mushrooms has evaporated.
- Blend in the flour, salt, and pepper and cook, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes.
- Gradually add the cream, along with the reserved stock, stirring constantly until the mixture has thickened.
- Add more chicken stock, if necessary.
- Cook for about 2 minutes longer.
- Add the chicken and heat through.
- Garnish with parsley.
Prepared, tried, and tested by Melanie Kramar from The Recipe Hunter: Tried and Tested Recipes from Home Chefs
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 628
- Sugar: 7
- Sodium: 753
- Fat: 50
- Saturated Fat: 31
- Unsaturated Fat: 16
- Trans Fat: 2
- Carbohydrates: 19
- Fiber: 1
- Protein: 26
- Cholesterol: 194
Keywords: Chicken à la King
Copyright © 2023 esmesalon.com – All rights reserved.
Thanks for stopping by
As always, if you make this recipe please leave me a comment, rate the recipe, and tag me @_esmesalon on Instagram so I can feature you. I love seeing all your photos of my recipe recreations!
Let’s keep in touch, so please sign up for my newsletter to get delicious homemade tried and tested recipes delivered to your inbox. And don’t forget to follow us on Pinterest, Instagram, & Twitter as I would love to connect with you there!
If you require a wonderfully tried and tested recipe book for yourself, or as a gift, please visit the shop and look at all those excellent Recipe eBooks.
2 thoughts on “How to Make Classic Chicken à la King”
I used to get chicken a la king at Rumpelmeyer’s, a classic of a tea shop if ever there was one. It used to be on Central Park South, and also served amazing ice cream sodas.
Thank you for popping in. We love love love chicken a la king and I should make it more often.