I bought a frozen pie for the base or feel free to use Delicious and Buttery Pie Crust with Vinegar
If using fresh apples, I made a filling syrup as follows
- In a large saucepan, mix sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- Add salt and water and mix well.
- Bring to a boil and cook until thick and bubbly.
- Remove from heat and add lemon juice.
- Sterilize canning jars, lids, and rings by boiling them in a large pot of water.
- Peel, core, and slice apples.
- Pack the sliced apples into hot canning jars, leaving a 1/2-inch space at the top.
- Fill jars with hot syrup, and gently remove any air bubbles with a knife. (Only use a plastic knife as the metal will crack your jars.)
- Put lids on and process in a water bath canner for 20 minutes.
- If your apples need thickening for the pie, mix a paste of cornflour and water and pour into the jar and boil it up in a pot until the syrup thickens.
- In a medium bowl, mix flour, sugars, oats, and cinnamon.
- Using a pastry cutter, mix in the butter until the entire mixture is combined and crumbly.
- A shortcut for this step is to use your fingers to combine the mixture.
- Sprinkle the crumble topping evenly over the apple filling.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes, at 180C / 375F, or until the edges are lightly brown and bubbling.
- Serve warm with a scoop or two of vanilla ice cream.