The BEST Quick Easy Apple Crumble recipe ever! A juicy, slightly tart apple filling spiked with cinnamon and a crumbly old-fashioned oat topping.
Sweeten Your Day with this awesome Quick Easy Apple Crumble
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3/4 cup salted butter
Filling and Syrup
- 4 1/2 cups white sugar
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 1T + 1t ground cinnamon
- 1/2 t ground nutmeg
- 2t salt
- 1/4t ground cloves
- 1/4t allspice
- 10c water
- 3T lemon juice
- 6 lbs apples
I bought a frozen pie for the base or feel free to use Delicious and Buttery Pie Crust with Vinegar
If using fresh apples, I made a filling syrup as follows
- In a large saucepan, mix sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- Add salt and water and mix well.
- Bring to a boil and cook until thick and bubbly.
- Remove from heat and add lemon juice.
- Sterilize canning jars, lids, and rings by boiling them in a large pot of water.
- Peel, core, and slice apples.
- Pack the sliced apples into hot canning jars, leaving a 1/2-inch space at the top.
- Fill jars with hot syrup, and gently remove any air bubbles with a knife. (Only use a plastic knife as the metal will crack your jars.)
- Put lids on and process in a water bath canner for 20 minutes.
- If your apples need thickening for the pie, mix a paste of cornflour and water and pour into the jar and boil it up in a pot until the syrup thickens.
- In a medium bowl, mix flour, sugars, oats, and cinnamon.
- Using a pastry cutter, mix in the butter until the entire mixture is combined and crumbly.
- A shortcut for this step is to use your fingers to combine the mixture.
- Sprinkle the crumble topping evenly over the apple filling.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes, at 180C / 375F, or until the edges are lightly brown and bubbling.
- Serve warm with a scoop or two of vanilla ice cream.
Prepared, tried, and tested by Beverley from The Recipe Hunter: Tried and Tested Recipes from Home Chefs
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 1146
- Sugar: 194.6 g
- Sodium: 743.5 mg
- Fat: 18.4 g
- Carbohydrates: 250 g
- Fiber: 13.9 g
- Protein: 5 g
- Cholesterol: 45.8 mg
Keywords: easy apple crumble with oats, apple crumble, pie, fresh apples, oats
More Apple Crumble Recipes to try out:
We shared this awesome recipe with Homestead Blog Hop