- 2.2 lb lamb mince
- Olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped finely
- 1 tsp minced garlic/ginger
- 1 tbs Roberstsons BBQ spice
- 1 tsp dry thyme
- 1 tsp dhania/jeera powder
- 1 tsp chili flakes (optional)
- 1/2 cup of tomato puree
- Splash of Worcestershire sauce
- Generous pinch of sugar
- 2 cups frozen peas and corn
- 5–6 potatoes peeled, chopped
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 cups milk (half n half) – heat in the microwave
- 2 cups grated cheese
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Heat oil in a non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat and brown onions.
- Add garlic.
- Add mince, breaking clumps until it changes color.
- Add spices and allow to fry for 10 minutes.
- Add tomato puree and Worcestershire sauce it simmers, for further 10 minutes.
- Add frozen veggies and simmer for a further 5-10 minutes.
- Bring your potatoes to a boil in hot water (I add a veg/chicken stock cube) until tender.
- Drain in a colander and return to the pot.
- Sprinkle with baking powder and add butter and mash until there are no clumps.
- Add salt and pepper and using an electric hand mixer gradually add warm milk and mix until you get a smooth consistency.
- Layer your mince in a casserole.
- Top with your mash.
- Draw lines with a fork.
- Sprinkle it generously with grated cheese.
- Place in the oven until the cheese melts and browns (about 10-15 minutes).
- Enjoy with salad.
Prepared, tried, and tested by Melanie from The Recipe Hunter: Tried and Tested Recipes from Home Chefs and SA Tasty Recipes – Saffas Daily Recipes
- Serving Size: 1 block
- Calories: 639
- Sugar: 11.1 g
- Sodium: 826 mg
- Fat: 22.7 g
- Carbohydrates: 89.4 g
- Fiber: 7.7 g
- Protein: 26.6 g
- Cholesterol: 56.3 mg
Keywords: Shepherd's Pie