We all grew up with this family favorite. Whether our mum called it Cottage Pie or Shepherds Pie (there is a difference) we didn’t care, try this Shepherds Cottage Pie.
Shepherd’s pie, cottage pie, or in its French version Hachis Parmentier is a savory dish of cooked minced meat topped with mashed potato and baked. The meat used may be either previously cooked or freshly minced. The usual meats are beef or lamb.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Easy
- Cuisine: Irish
- 2.2 lb lamb mince
- Olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped finely
- 1 tsp minced garlic/ginger
- 1 tbs Roberstsons BBQ spice
- 1 tsp dry thyme
- 1 tsp dhania/jeera powder
- 1 tsp chili flakes (optional)
- 1/2 cup of tomato puree
- Splash of Worcestershire sauce
- Generous pinch of sugar
- 2 cups frozen peas and corn
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Heat oil in a non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat and brown onions.
- Add garlic.
- Add mince, breaking clumps until it changes color.
- Add spices and allow to fry for 10 minutes.
- Add tomato puree and Worcestershire sauce it simmers, for further 10 minutes.
- Add frozen veggies and simmer for a further 5-10 minutes.
- Bring your potatoes to a boil in hot water (I add a veg/chicken stock cube) until tender.
- Drain in a colander and return to the pot.
- Sprinkle with baking powder and add butter and mash until there are no clumps.
- Add salt and pepper and using an electric hand mixer gradually add warm milk and mix until you get a smooth consistency.
- Layer your mince in a casserole.
- Top with your mash.
- Draw lines with a fork.
- Sprinkle it generously with grated cheese.
- Place in the oven until the cheese melts and browns (about 10-15 minutes).
- Enjoy with salad.
Prepared, tried, and tested by Melanie from The Recipe Hunter: Tried and Tested Recipes from Home Chefs and SA Tasty Recipes – Saffas Daily Recipes
- Serving Size: 1 block
- Calories: 639
- Sugar: 11.1 g
- Sodium: 826 mg
- Fat: 22.7 g
- Carbohydrates: 89.4 g
- Fiber: 7.7 g
- Protein: 26.6 g
- Cholesterol: 56.3 mg
Keywords: Shepherd’s Pie
Thanks a bunch for swinging by!
If you whip up this delightful recipe, drop me a line, rate it, and don’t forget to tag me on @_esmesalon on Instagram. I’m on the lookout for your amazing recreations, and I just can’t get enough of those mouthwatering pics!
Let’s not lose touch – sign up for my newsletter, and I’ll deliver scrumptious, foolproof recipes right to your inbox. And hey, why not join the party on Pinterest, Instagram, and Threads? I’d love to connect with you there and share our foodie adventures!
And guess what? If you’re looking for a fantastic tried-and-true recipe book, swing by the shop and feast your eyes on our collection of excellent Recipe eBooks. They make for a perfect treat for yourself or a food-loving friend!