Tinned Tuna Fish Cakes made with mashed potatoes and cheddar cheese. This is a winner in my books
- 3 tins tuna in water
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 125 g cream cheese onion and chive flavor
- Salt and Pepper
- Parsley – you can add fresh, but I used bottled as I ran out of fresh parsley.
- 1 large potato – cook and make mash as usual – let it cool down
- Peel potatoes, dice and cook and prepare the mash as per usual. Let it cool down.
- Mix everything, except the Breadcrumbs, together.
- Scoop out the mixture and form 15 patties.
- I tried to dip one in the egg and milk mixture but decided against it after the first one as the mixture was moist enough for the breadcrumbs to stick properly. You can decide if you wish to use it.
- Dip the patties in the breadcrumbs and coat well and then flatten them slightly.
- Place and leave it on parchment paper in the freezer for a minimum of 15-20 minutes to set properly. You need them solid and cold otherwise they will crumble when baking.
- Coat your pan with a thin layer of oil and heat the oil.
- Place 5 patties at a time in the pan, rather do less than overcrowd the pan as it is easier to work and flip them over when you have fewer patties in the pan.
- Bake on both sides until golden brown.
- Be careful when you turn them over as they may break open as they are pretty soft.
- Once done, continue with the rest of the patties.
- Serve with whatever you like. We served it with sliced green beans.
Prepared, tried, and tested by Esme Slabs from The Recipe Hunter: Tried and Tested Recipes from Home Chefs and SATasty Recipes – Saffas Daily Recipes
- Serving Size: 2
- Calories: 275
- Sugar: 2
- Sodium: 484
- Fat: 13
- Saturated Fat: 6
- Unsaturated Fat: 5
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 15
- Fiber: 1
- Protein: 24
- Cholesterol: 110