Tinned Tuna Fish Cakes made with mashed potatoes and cheddar cheese. This is a winner in my books
How do you keep tuna patties from falling apart?
To keep the tuna patties from falling apart while cooking, be sure to press the edges together tightly. It will help to hold them together without compressing the center too much. Also when cooking is to be sure to let them fully brown on one side then flip. The less handling the better the tuna patties will hold together.
Tuna fishcakes are super-easy, quick, and cheap. You can also make and freeze them.
A fishcake (sometimes written as fish cake) is a culinary dish consisting of filleted fish or other seafood minced or ground, mixed with a starchy ingredient, and fried until golden. Asian-style fishcakes usually contain fish with salt, water, flour, and egg.
- 3 tins tuna in water
- 2 eggs
- ½ finely chopped onion
- ½ cup grated cheddar cheese
- 125 g cream cheese onion and chive flavor
- Salt and Pepper
- Parsley - you can add fresh, but I used bottled as I ran out of fresh parsley.
- 1 large potato - cook and make mash as usual - let it cool down
- Peel potatoes, dice and cook and prepare the mash as per usual. Let it cool down.
- Mix everything, except the Breadcrumbs, together.
- Scoop out the mixture and form 15 patties.
- I tried to dip one in the egg and milk mixture but decided against it after the first one as the mixture was moist enough for the breadcrumbs to stick properly. You can decide if you wish to use it.
- Dip the patties in the breadcrumbs and coat well and then flatten them slightly.
- Place and leave it on parchment paper in the freezer for a minimum of 15-20 minutes to set properly. You need them solid and cold otherwise they will crumble when baking.
- Coat your pan with a thin layer of oil and heat the oil.
- Place 5 patties at a time in the pan, rather do less than overcrowd the pan as it is easier to work and flip them over when you have fewer patties in the pan.
- Bake on both sides until golden brown.
- Be careful when you turn them over as they may break open as they are pretty soft.
- Once done, continue with the rest of the patties.
- Serve with whatever you like. We served it with sliced green beans.
Prepared, tried, and tested by Esme Slabs from The Recipe Hunter: Tried and Tested Recipes from Home Chefs and SATasty Recipes - Saffas Daily Recipes
Tried this recipe? Mention @_EsmeSalon or tag #shareEScare
I hope you will have a go at this one and when you tested and made this recipe, please will you be so kind as to visit the post and give it a rating and review, please and thank you. You can also share it on Instagram and mention @_EsmeSalon or tag #shareEScare
Amount Per Serving Calories 275Total Fat 13gSaturated Fat 6gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 5gCholesterol 110mgSodium 484mgCarbohydrates 15gFiber 1gSugar 2gProtein 24g
EsmeSalon provides approximate nutrition information for your convenience and as a courtesy only. Please note that all nutrition data is congregated by online calculators. Nutrition information can vary for a recipe, and we strive to keep the information as accurate as possible but can not guarantee or provide any assurances regarding its accuracy. We encourage readers to make their own estimates based on the ingredients used, and by using your own and preferred nutrition calculator. The author(s) of EsmeSalon are not dietitians or nutritionists. Any recommendations shall not be construed as medical or nutritional advice. You are fully responsible for any actions you take and any consequences that occur because of anything you read on this website. The website or content herein is not intended to cure, prevent, diagnose, or treat any disease. Please consult your health care provider regarding any health-related decisions.
Thanks for stopping by
As always, if you make this recipe please leave me a comment, rate the recipe, and tag me @_esmesalon on Instagram so I can feature you. I love seeing all your photos of my recipe recreations!
Let’s keep in touch, so please sign up for my newsletter to get delicious homemade tried and tested recipes delivered fresh to your inbox. And don’t forget to follow us on Pinterest, Instagram, & Twitter as I would love to connect with you there!
If you’re in need of a wonderfully tried and tested recipe book for yourself, or as a gift, please do visit the shop and have a look at all those awesome Recipe eBooks.
Amazon: As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases from the United States, France, Germany, Italy, Spain, and the United Kingdom.
If you from time to time do online shopping through Amazon, I will be grateful for your support using any of my links. Please take a look at any of the recipes on this blog. Either use a regular link or an image with the Buy from Amazon purple button. Thank you for your support and for using my links.